We've all heard how important it is to include an SPF in your daily skincare routine to prevent future skin damage and discoloration. But what should you use, what level of SPF and HOW?
According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), high SPF sunscreens give you only slightly better protection than SPF 50. However, the bigger concern is the false sense of security that comes with applying a higher SPF and the feeling of being able to spend more time in the sun. According to both EWG and The Skin Cancer Foundation, SPF 30 blocks nearly 97% of UVB radiation, SPF 50 blocks 98% and SPF 100 blocks about 99%. Because of this, most recommend sticking with a SPF 30 and re-applying often. It is also important to note that deep-penetrating UVA radiation isn’t even measured--there is no labeling system in the US to measure how much UVA protection you are getting from sunscreen. To get protection from BOTH, you need to have at least 15% zinc oxide.
We've used this data and lab research to develop our mineral SPFs, formulated with 25% zinc oxide and other clean ingredients that won't overwork the skin and aren't counterproductive to the restorative properties of your usual WildBloom skincare routine. We currently offer two shades of tinted sunscreens and just released an untinted version for those days you don't need the extra glow or coverage. We're in love with how blendable these SPFs are and think you will love them too. Some highlights--
- The natural tones are created by the mineral cosmetic pigment iron oxide to blend well with the skin. Iron Oxide is the same biomineral that makes blood look red.
- Excellent for facial use and may be applied to reduce blemishes and blend sunspots.
- Non-nano, not-micronized Zinc Oxide is the sole active ingredient; Zinc Oxide the only sunscreen active ingredient FDA-approved for children under 6 months of age.
- Contain nine edible-grade, 86% certified organic ingredients and is completely petrochemical-free.
- Provides 97%+ broad spectrum UV absorption across the entire UVA & UVB spectrum.
- Unique formula – soy-free, gluten-free, corn-free and vegan.
- Fragrance-free & non-comedogenic
- They are ecosystem approved with a biodegradable formula safe for reefs and the aquatic environment, and packaged in recyclable tubes.
- Cruelty-free – never tested on animals – only tested on humans per 2011 FDA OTC Sunscreen Monograph regulations.
- Dermatologist recommended
To uphold the WildBloom standard, we wanted to achieve a formula that checked all of the boxes -- clean, effective and good for the environment?Mission accomplished!
So--how to use it? After your serum, consider adding the tinted SPF as your moisturizing layer on days where you plan to be in the sun. When in doubt, go lighter--you don’t want to “see” the tint, rather it should blend in to reduce the appearance of any skin imperfections. You could even use the tinted versions on your entire body for an extra glow! Our SPF with no tint is great for the kids or the days you aren't looking for that additional color.
Be sure that you re-apply frequently and anytime you come out of the water--even the best water-resistant sunscreens lose their effectiveness after being in the pool. And the best way to prevent long-term skin damage to your face? Wear a great hat!